AZ-D.ORG

The Arizona DeLorean Club Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:31 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:25 pm 

Got pretty much everything to rebuild the engine. Will be doing that this weekend. New rings, new bearings, DPI performance camshafts, full valve job done, got everything cleaned and checked (everything was still within factory spec, woo), new chains and sprockets (were probably okay, but I heard a really nasty dragging sound from the chains when it was running, better safe than sorry, plus I wont have to open it up again for 30+ yrs hopefully), new gaskets for everything, got the stripped head bolt hole fixed. I think thats about everything. Will be posting pictures (and catching up on old pictures).

"If you're gonna get in a DeLorean, you better have a spare."

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:08 am 

More pictures uploaded. Didnt get finish, much more cleaning needed than I thought since the mchineshop didnt pull/clean out the cylinder liners. Oh well, bearing caps and crankshaft are back in, pistons are ready, just need to get those in now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:37 am 

Finally back in action! Spent the past two days cleaning up the pistons and starting to get them back in the block. I started bleeding profusely from a few places all over the engine block so I decided to call it a weekend! I WILL have it running before we leave!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:12 pm 

Daniel agreed. additionally they provide no protection from impact from anything including doors and anything else. if you want that type of coverage recommend a carport or full garage. (either that or a thick layer of Styrofoam.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:42 pm 

Well, here we are, a year after my last post in this thread. What a shame. Recent events have got me re-arranging my schedule of things to work on, and where my motivation goes. The D has become a pretty high priority again in my life. Expect to see updates in the near future. Probably starting next weekend when I have progress to report.

People should keep pestering me about this, help keep me motivated ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:56 pm 

glad to hear it!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:13 pm 

I've been a little behind in posting pictures (and actually doing things). But after getting over some humps that were a pain in the ass, I finally have a hunk of metal that looks more like an engine. I've also better organized all of the photos.

Had to install the lower crankcase three times because I was not happy with it because I was not sure about the amount of gasket material that actually went where it needed to (you can see that in photos). Picked up an ultrasonic cleaner, that combined with purple power cleans just about anything small. Lost some bits in the two move's I've made since I started taking it apart. Fought with head alignment pins because past me is an idiot and they ended up completely in the block (lost a whole week waiting for replacements on that one, shipping was twice as much as the actual pins themselves). Good news is that the helicoil on one of the block threads stood up. I used Josh @ DPIs method of specific torque values after proper preparation (chasing holes, lubricant on the tip of the head bolts, lubricant under the head of the head bolts); which nicely enough does not require re-tightening after the engine has been cycled. And most recently, had to pull out my electric furnace to get the crankshaft sprockets back on.

My goal is engine back together by the end of Dec. Still need to crack the transmission and fix the roll pin issue there/check the synchro's since there are likely issues there. Its taken too damn long, but its slowly happening. Stay tuned!

Photos: http://tinyurl.com/krisdelorean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:09 pm 

looking at your pictures... you have fanzilla on there?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:23 pm 

Yeah, Derric had fanzilla and lockzilla installed and working before I bought the car from him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:45 am 

Due to some personal changes I've made, getting my DeLorean back on the road is now a high priority of mine. Yeah, yeah, I've said it before, but its for realsies this time. Back at it again, timing chains back on, also dropped the money on a good metric tap and die set finally. Photos live somewhere else now: https://www.flickr.com/photos/37084906@N04/

Most recent stupidity story:
Was getting back in to things, and getting ready to put the oil pump back on. Re-reading material, setting my space back up, remembered details, going through notes, etc. I kept the bolts in the block for safe keeping, so I was pulling them out. As I was doing so, *tink*, one of the washers fell down in to the one tiny opening I did not (because I couldn't easily) cover up, and in to the oil pan. I couldn't have made that happen if I tried again. Had to rip off the oil pan to retrieve it, so I get to clean up and re-gasket that.